Research in the Critical Care SCN focuses on the first three research categories as outlined by Alberta Health Services: creating knowledge, creating capacity and informing decision-making to improve the care of critically ill patients. Partnership and collaboration are important to both research and innovation.
We use a multidisciplinary team approach to problem-solving that results in innovative solutions for improving the delivery of care for critically ill patients.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- 2017-2024. Sustaining evidence-based health care.
- 2017-2022. SPOR REACH Network - Guidelines and Systematic Reviews
- 2017-2019. Improving ICU to Ward transfers of care: Evaluations of a KT Tool Kit and ICU transfer tool.
- 2018 - 2021. Family-ICU Delirium Detection Study (FIDDS)
- 2017 - 2018. Comparative safety and efficacy of pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions for the behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia: A systematic review and network meta-analysis
- 2017 - 2018. A Patient and Family-Centered Approach to Delirium Assessment in Critically Ill Older Adults
- 2017 - 2018. Optimization of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Management in Calgary Intensive Care Units
- 2017 - 2018. Pre clinical testing of novel treatment strategies for septic shock in a mouse model of advanced age
- 2017 - 2018. Improving patient safety during pediatric resuscitation: Team performance and error
- 2016 - 2022. The Canadian Trauma Systems Improvement Program (CTSIP): Improving injury care across the continuum
- 2016 - 2021. Bacteremia Antibiotic Length Actually Needed for Clinical Effectiveness (BALANCE): A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial
- 2016 - 2020. Late Life Issues, Development and Evaluation of a Family-Partnered Care Pathway for Critically Ill Older Patients
- 2016 - 2019. Evaluation of the association between hospital resource use intensity and quality of care in a trauma system
- 2016 - 2019. InCURS: Intensive Care Unit Residents Scheduling Study
- 2016 - 2018. Clinical Frailty Scale Score Implementation into a Provincial Bedside Clinical Information System (eCritical)
- 2016 - 2018. Validating screening tools for delirium subtypes in the critically ill
- 2016 - 2018. Identifying Spiritual Distress in Families of ICU Patients: The INSPIRE Study
- 2016 - 2018. Re-engineering Discharge from the Intensive Care Unit
- 2016 - 2018. Developing a Framework for the De-Adoption of Low-Value Clinical Practices in Acute Care Facilities
- 2016 - 2018. Relaxation for critically ill Patient Outcomes and Stress-coping Enhancement (REPOSE): Clinical Trial of an Integrative Intervention to improve critically ill patients’ delirium and related outcomes
- 2015 - 2018. Family Integrated Care (FICare) in Level II NICUs: An Innovative Program for Alberta
- 2016 - 2017. Establishing Stakeholder Research Priorities for the Development and Evaluation of Caregiver-Mediated Interventions in the Care of Critically Ill Older Patients
- 2016 - 2017. Re-engineering the Discharge of Elderly Patients from Intensive Care: Pre-Clinical Evaluation of a Tool Kit
- 2016 - 2017. Engaging the Public in the Development of a Family-Partnered Care Pathway for Critically Ill Older Adults
- 2016 - 2017. A Retrospective Cohort Study to Describe the Characteristics and Outcomes of Patients Discharged from Hospital in Alberta Directly from the Intensive Care Unit
- 2016 - 2017. A Modified Delphi Process to Identify, Rank and Prioritize Quality Indicators in Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) Care in Critically Ill Patients
- 2016. Engaging the Public in the Development of a Family- Partnered Care Pathway for Critically Ill Older Adults
- 2016 - 2017. The Epidemiology of Hypoactive Delirium in the Critically Ill
- 2016 - 2017. Developing a Framework for the De-Adoption of Low-Value Clinical Practices in Acute Care Facilities
- 2015 - 2018. Reassessing Practices in the Daily Care of Critically Ill Patients: Opportunities to Identify and Close Evidence-care Gaps
- 2015 - 2017. Determining Best Practices for Family Participation in Intensive Care Unit Rounds
- 2015 - 2016. The Reversal of Clinical Practice in Critical Care Medicine: A Systematic Review
- 2015. Advancing patient-centred knowledge translation across the care continuum
- 2014 – 2018: Identifying and Evaluating Intensive Care Unit Capacity Strain in Alberta. Funded by Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Health System from Alberta Innovates – Health Solutions.
- 2014 - 2016. Re-engineeringthe Discharge of Elderly Patients from Intensive Care